Saturday, October 8, 2011

Remembering the Kindness of the Lord

(I wrote this post shortly after returning from Cape Town, but never published it. I decided to today because I need to remember positive things about the trip. I need to remind myself how kind the Lord was in giving me a beautiful example of love in my South African friends.)

-November 2010-

My mind has been a tad scrambled lately. So much happened in those 19 days that has changed my life.

So, where to begin? Well, South Africa, I suppose. What a beautiful place! Seriously, I have been enchanted by the city of Cape Town and the wonderful South African friends I met there.

Although we went as a Bethlehem team, we didn't spend much time together during the day. I spent most of my day working alongside stewards for all over the world. When I first thought about the other stewards, I assumed I wouldn't spend much time with them and that they would not be a major part of my experience. How wrong I was... the people I served with became the richest part of the congress for me.

This may sound shallow in light of the weight of the congress, but hear me out. I didn't experience much of the actual congress because I was either serving during the plenary sessions, or I was so exhausted by the time my shift ended that I collapsed in the steward lounge. If I had experienced more of the sessions or interacted more with the participants, I'm sure that would have been my highlight:) But, since that was not the case, I got to know the other stewards quite well. I spent hours and hours serving beside them, exploring Cape Town with them, and staying at the fabulously sketch Train Lodge with them. The way that I was loved, especially by the South African stewards, was incredible. They were so intentional in getting to know me and making conversation was never awkward in the least. I was loved. I didn't have to prove anything or be lovable. I was a member of the body of Christ and I was loved. I have so much to learn from these beautiful people.

No comments: